What if I told you, you can still go to that happy hour, still join your friends for brunch, and still do those date nights you and your boo love so much?!?! Awesome right!?!.. pSH..I know. Your life doesn’t have to be put on hold because all of a sudden you decided to start eating healthier or you’re trying to lose weight. There is a misconception with eating healthy, trying to lose weight and not being able to dine out. However, this is not the case!
Hopefully you keep these tips in mind the next time you second guess ordering take-out or going out to eat…
(DISCLAIMER: I’M NOT A NUTRITIONIST. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE LEARNED OVER THE YEARS)
Restaurants serve ginormous portions. We often over eat because we feel the need to eat every last bit on our plate in front of us. There are a few ways to battle over eating.
- First things first. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register you’re full. Eat slower and drink water in between bites.
- Secondly. When you order your meal, ask for a to-go box when your food arrives at your table so you can pack up half your meal right away. (Which is usually the portion you’re supposed to be eating anyway.)
- Third. Perception. Eat on a smaller plate. This will trick your brain into thinking you’re eating more food.
- Fourth. Order off the appetizer menu. These options are often smaller portions but large enough to fill you up. (P.S. it’s probably cheaper too haha)
[MAKE HEALTHIER CHOICES!]
So you’re eating cleaner and trying to cut out the fat right?…
- When ordering, ask the waiter if they can grill your steak, chicken, fish, etc. (Make sure to ask it be cooked without butter…choose olive oil instead, it’s much healthier for you).
- Ask if they will grill or steam your veggies sans the sauces and butter instead of sautéing them…you can always season your veggies yourself with the salt and pepper at your table. (Be careful when adding salt, too much will lead to water retention)
- Like bread? Me too!….switch out white bread for whole wheat. Multi grain is not the same as wheat bread. It still has white flour in it.
- Brunching? Ask for your omelet to be cooked with egg whites instead of regular eggs and see if they can use cooking spray instead of oil or butter.
[HAPPY HOUR]….“But I want a glass of wine sooo bad!”
Ok, so alcohol is bad for us for so many reasons. (But everything in moderation!)
Know your calories for each type of drink…just to name a few.
- 8 oz. glass of light beer (darker beer is more) – 97-120 calories
- 4 oz. glass of white wine – on average 120 calories
- 2 oz. shot of vodka – 90 calories.
I tend to stay away from the sugary mixed drinks. I usually will drink vodka soda with a lime and lemon. Soda water is 0 calories (90ish calories for a drink! Nice!). A margarita can have up to 500 calories!! Craving one??…ask for a skinny marg, they’re made with fresh juice and natural agave…cuts calories in half and still yummy. Try and stick to the light beers..less calories duh!
Skip on the fried foods when ordering apps. (Order the hummus platter instead and see if they can cut up some cucumbers for you to dip instead of the bread. Shrimp is low in calories, if they have a shrimp cocktail, go for it!)
Lastly, drink a glass of water in between cocktails. This will make you feel fuller and also sober you up! Double score!
These are just some tips that have helped me. All in all, just be sure to make smart choices. The easy thing to do, is to order what ever is on the menu and gobble it all up. Then we feel guilty later and that’s no fun! Take a moment to think your options through. Still live your life, don’t forget to splurge every once in a while and don’t deprive yourself. Life is too short! Enjoy!
Until next time!